Saturday, June 4, 2011

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN AETA - AN ESSAY CONTEST

I am currently editing the narrative and captions for this article.  Please come back later.
Thank you for your interest.

Maria Panlilio

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN AETA - AN ESSAY CONTEST:
Basically, I established an annual essay contest for the Aeta tribal children of Mount Pinatubo on the Pampanga side.  First I spoke with the school administration about my one-woman project, which was highly received.  Then I spoke to the children and described to them the purpose, concept and rules of the contest.  Major prizes were given to the top three winners, but everybody who entered also received some kind of monetary award.  I was the primary financier of the project, with some support from my publishers. Annually thereafter, the project was continued by the schools with my guidance and financial support.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



PICTORIAL OF THE AWARDS CEREMONY


































































2 comments:

  1. Look at you: the humanitarian at work.
    It must be quite a fulfilling and rewarding experience to be a literary mentor to the indigenous children of the Philippines. These are great images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, are you going to post the essays entered in the contests, at least the winning entries? I would love to read them.

    ReplyDelete